Tuesday, 7 August 2012

Minotaurs Colour Scheme Part 3 (Plus Scouts Built)

Minotaur Space Marine Colour Scheme
Here's the final paint scheme I'll be using for my Minotaurs. I've gone for a quick-to-paint scheme, rather than display cabinet quality. Created a little step by step guide for people who still want to see the new GW paints in action.

First, I painted two very watered down layers of Screaming Bell (like, 50/50 water to paint) to give the model a solid basecoat for the bronze. Then, a couple of layers of Sycorax Bronze. Again I watered down to create a smooth coverage.

I very lightly drybrushed Golden Griffon to give the model a bit of highlight. To finish the armour, I gave the model a wash of Reikland Fleshshade. This both gives the model some shading, while smoothing down the effect of the drybrushing. I think doing a drybrush then wash really makes the armour more subdued, and allows me to pick out all the other details with line highlighting, making them stand out over the shiny armour.

The chest eagle was based with Celestra Grey, washed with Nuln Oil, and highlighted with Scar White. Skull was Zandri Dust, Agrax Earthshade, Zandri Dust again, Ushabti Bone, and Screaming Skull. Armour joints are Mechanicus Standard Grey and washed with Nuln Oil then highlighted with Grey again. Eye lenses and metal bits were painted in the same manner as the boltgun below.

To stand out from the armour a bit, and to compliment the 'veteran' red pauldrons for sergeants and the like, I decided to paint weapons red - including chainswords and boltguns. For the metal: Base with Leadbelcher, wash with Nuln Oil and Highlight with Runefang Steel. For the red: Base with Mephiston Red, Shade with Carroburg Crimson, then highlight with Evil Sunz Scarlet.

Sand glued with PVA, washed with Nuln Oil, heavy drybrush of Mechanicus Standard Grey followed by a light drybrush of Celestra Grey. Paint the rim black. For the snow I used the GW stuff on top of PVA - needed at least three layers, leaving a bit of the previous layer shower for a 'melting' effect.

The Forge World transfers are awesome, so I picked up a sheet for my Minotaurs. Prepared the area with a couple of coats of 'Ardcoat first to aid in decal placement. Once the transfer is on and completely dry, I gave it another coat of 'Ardcoat to seal and a couple of coats of Lahmian Medium to matte. I was thinking of using some sort of decal softener (like micro sol), but wanted to try it without first.

And we're finished! Fairly quick and painless:

Minotaur Scouts
I picked up a pack of sniper scouts for my Minotaurs too this week, converted up the sergeant as well. I'm going to give all my sergeants mk4/5 armour so didn't want to leave him out! Just because he has scout armour doesn't mean he can't have 'armour lips'. Not too good with green stuff but looks ok. Also positioned and green stuffed another one of the scouts so he wasnt in a boring 'forward facing' pose. You can't really see it in the photos, but I've green stuffed a lip around his bracers too. Hopefully it will look decent when smoothed and painted.

Kill Team
For those of you who are interested, I've updated the main rules to v1.1b - just a few tweaks, including some rules to allow for Campaigns. Of which I am almost finished writing rules for now, so check back soon for them (should be done next week). Also added rules for Necrons and Blood Angels teams.

Darth Meer

No comments:

Post a Comment